Saturday, September 27, 2014

Blogging in science.....

I can see how easy it would be to blog in Language arts. Daily or weekly journal entries, book critiques, even just practicing with spelling words the list goes on and on!! However, in science those ideas just don't come to me as easily. When I look at what my kid's teachers and what my colleagues do I have a hard time seeing the possibilities. So with my limited internet this week - I totally feel the pain of my students with limited internet access now - I decided to do some research into how I can use a blog in a science classroom. I found a few blogs but nothing that really got my ideas flowing. Until I got to this http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=4771 . It is the blog site for
Chimacum's Science Blogs-Mr. Gonzalez's Science Classes in Washington state. I liked that it had not only scienctific articles that might be of interest to the students. Often things that a teacher might not have time to discuss in class but could provide a place for online discussion in a blog. There were also entries on things that could help the students like how to make a Power Point presentation and an informative presentation on Multitasking. 
I also found an article from The National Science Teacher's Association  http://www.nsta.org/publications/news/story.aspx?id=51966 . Unfortunately it was an older article but still had some good ideas in it. It was difficult to find a blog just about science for older students. Much of what I found were websites as opposed to a blog.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patrice, I noticed the science blog was using a different carrier (if that is the correct word) than blogger. He had some neat stuff on there, but I started to get overwhelmed with so many options. I think this is why I will stick with weebly in the classroom, although I imagine students are used to the plethora of information thrown at them on a screen. I can get overwhelmed and confused and want to shut the laptop! The science teacher that I taught with last year (grade 8) used a lot of quick blogging responses to check for quick understanding of the concept she was teaching. Andrea

    ReplyDelete